American Society of Highway Engineers
Triko Valley Section
Donald C. Schramm
Transportation Improvement Award
The membership established the Donald C. Schramm Transportation Improvement Awards to recognize completed transportation projects that truly improve efficiency, safety and quality of life. The awards were named after the late Donald C. Schramm, P.E.-P.S. who was a leader in the transportation engineering field and in Hamilton County government. He served as the Hamilton County Engineer in the Cincinnati area from 1973 to 1992. Mr. Schramm and his administration made every attempt to hasten the completion of the Ronald Reagan Cross County Highway Project through the very complex federal aid development process. The personal and professional attributes displayed by Mr. Schramm during his tenure inspired the ASHE TRIKO Valley Section to name the Transportation Improvement Awards in his honor.
Two awards are given each year to qualifying local transportation projects. One award is given to projects valued over $5 million construction cost and one to projects valued less than $5 million.
Calendar for 2018 award
- December 21, 2018 – Entry Deadline
- January 9, 2019 – Review and rating of entries by the Board of Directors
- By January 16, 2019 – Top three (3) rated entries in each category will be notified
- January 22, 2019 – General Membership Meeting – Presentation to general membership by top three (3) rated entrants from each category. (Final selection to be determined by the general membership by closed ballot.)
- March 19, 2019 – General Membership Meeting – Awards presentation
Eligible projects for the “Donald C. Schramm Transportation Improvement Award” shall be directly related to one or more of the following areas of the field of transportation:
- Public Transit
- Other Related Projects
- Projects entered in the competition must be located within the geographic area of the ASHE – TRIKO Valley Section.
- Construction of the project must have been substantially completed and ready for use between January and December of the competitions current year.
- Entries must be sponsored by a member of the ASHE – TRIKO Valley Section.
Judging of Entries
- All entries will be judged by the nine (9) members of the ASHE – TRIKO Valley Section Board of Directors.
- The Board of Directors will rate each entry to determine the top three (3) rated entries (competition finalists) in each of the categories specified for the award.
- The sponsors of the competition finalists in each category shall give a presentation at the January General Membership Meeting. The format of each presentation will be at the discretion of the presenter. The time allotted for each presentation will be determined by the Board of Directors. The general membership in attendance at this meeting will vote by ballot for the projects receiving the award. All ballots will be submitted at the end of the meeting. Results of the voting will be tallied by the Chairperson of the Transportation Improvement Award and presented to the ASHE – TRIKO Valley Section Board of Directors at the March Board Meeting. There is only one (1) award for each category.
- Awards will be presented to the owner, design firm, and general construction contractor of the winning entries at the annual ASHE – TRIKO Valley Section Capital Improvement Program meeting in March.
Download the Award Application for a complete listing of rules and submission requirements.